Friday, February 8, 2008

Accessing Sharepoint through UNC with SSL

Note: After further review I found that the following only applies to Vista.

So we installed SharePoint 2007 (MOSS) and migrated from 2003. One of the network admins comented that he could no longer UNC into SharePoint. I searched the web high and low and couldn't find any reason why it shouldn't work. I personally set up a network location folder to our corporate SharePoint enviroment for my use in Vista. Today when I looked at at the network location I noticed that it had listed in the details the UNC path to the folder. So I entered that in the run dialogue, and it worked. So I thought I would Share this with everyone.

First off I learned that if you have SSL enabled it need to look like this for the top level site of the site collection:
\\yoursiteurl@ssl\DavWWWRoot

If you want to access on of the subsites it just looks like this:
\\yoursiteurl@ssl\site

For non SSL deployments I was able to access the top level site with this:
\\yoursiteurl\DavWWWRoot

And for non SSL subsites it was the following:
\\yoursiteurl\site

Mabey I am still to new at this SharePoint administration thing and this should of been common knowledge, but I thought I would throw it out there for anyone else like me who couldn't quite figure it out.

No comments: