Thursday, May 15, 2008

Creating a Custom List Form for a SharePoint List

I worked on this for a while so I thought I would put all the links in one place:

So I wanted to modify the Editform.aspx page for a custom list I had created. I needed the users to only see a few of the fields for editing. The rest of the fields were being populated by an InfoPath form. So I followed the directions in the following post: http://kalsing.blogspot.com/2006/11/create-custom-list-form-for-sharepoint.html

This worked and I was able to click on the link that was sent in the email to users letting them know they had anew form. then I went into the list and clicked on the 'Edit Properties' button. This returned me to the root SharePoint site and not the item. So I was a little baffled. So I looked through a blog post(http://weblogs.asp.net/jan/archive/2006/11/06/Custom-Edit-Forms-for-SharePoint-2007-Lists.aspx) by Jan Tielens about the same thing. I found that when you right click on the properties of the list in SharePoint designer that it had no edit form associated with it. Also when I tried to add my new form it would give me the following message: "The page you have selected does not contain a reference to the correct SharePoint list. Please select another page". So I finally found a solution here: http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/ShowPost.aspx?postid=2023228&isthread=false&siteid=17

It seems that you must hide the original generic editing webpart. Since I replaced it it removed some code it needed in order to reference the page. I hope this helps someone else who is having the same issue.

No comments: